Saturday, October 20, 2007

Why can't we all be happy ALL the time?

OK, I have found this blogging thing to be very therapeutic and a good way to be open when I would rather never share anything than with a few people in the world. I think I need to type a frustration list and let it stay in cyberspace and give it to God and not think about it for a while.

Frustrations
  1. My daughter is growing up too fast.
  2. My body is not cooperating with me and I don't want surgery.
  3. This working out has not changed my life as so many said it would.
  4. I worry too much about everything.
  5. I want to give the best to my family and I often fall short.

Believe it or not just putting it out in front of me takes a load of - so any advice on any of these just post would love to hear - however I don't give out candy but will have you over for dinner!

3 comments:

Rachel said...

One thing I've been trying to do (just this week) is not take things too seriously. So while my insecurities and problems may seem so huge and heavy, it's good to put them in perspective with what else is going on--my child's basic needs are met, I love Ari and we can still laugh together. I may wake up in a grouchy mood and then feel bad about it all day. However, I'm trying to remember that life is okay. Bren, remember you don't have to be the perfect wife/mother/exerciser/etc. You're doing a great job with your kids and husband. Let go of the guilt about the small stuff. Enjoy the moments you have together (and the moments you have with your daughter who is growing up so quickly) without worrying that you're not perfect! Guilt about that stuff makes us miserable rather than helping us connect to those around us. That's my (quick) advice. Hang in there!

Bren said...

Thanks Rachel.

-V- said...

Wow, Rach - that's great wisdom! I've been learning similar things lately about 'letting go' and, just this summer, have been finding that deep-rooted fears melt away in the warmth of this new self-compassion (not self-centeredness). I'm still working on this but excited to feel like it's at least the right direction. I had been living under what I call 'worm theology' (i.e. - "I AM a worm") for SO long.

Choosing to listen to the right (kind) voices was the first step. You know - not 'woowoo' voices. But refusing to listen to self-talk that says things like, "I'm not good enough. I can't do this. That was really stupid. I am worth nothing." And instead having compassion on myself.

See my blog post #1 for a better description of that 2nd voice. I don't have kids yet, but I imagine it's like a comforting voice you'd use with your child: "It's going to be okay. I like you. You're valuable. I believe you can do this. It doesn't have to be perfect." This is the voice I choose to listen to (most of the time) now. And the other one has gotten pretty quiet.

Two sources set me on this path this summer: www.maxgrace.com and his podcast sermons (check out the April series on Esther). And Thom Rutledge's 'Embracing Fear and Finding the Courage to Live Your Life.' I had been asking God for deliverance from fear/worry issues for years, and these two sources were His amazing answer to me this past summer...

Blessings on you, Bren. Thanks for sharing your heart so honestly and allowing us in to share thoughts - that's beautiful.