Friday, October 26, 2007

Morbid thoughts

So, I did something that some might think is morbid last night. I came home from hanging out with my girlfriend and with coffee and a lot of emotions still encompassing me I wrote letters to my kids for them to receive if I were to die. I should say I have thought a lot about this letter thing since I read it in a magazine a few months back and grew fond of the idea of speaking from beyond the grave. I would like to have more time to be more specific but that is not happening today as the party is on for tonight even though Ashley's room is a war zone and the kitchen floor and table are yet to be found. I will get to them soon and it will not be half as hard as I think it would be. Kids will not care if the steps are not vacuumed but I will so that will have to get done. So off to read for awhile and enjoy a cup of coffee on my day 'off' and then get to housecleaning!

3 comments:

-V- said...

I love your hopeful attitude about the kitchen table surface being more accessible than you think... You're right - the kids could care less about the stairs and you deserve a cup of coffee on your day off.

I think we all can relate to that strong desire to pass on a legacy. To pass on love - to leave a mark. I think it's a sign of maturity to be aware of your mortality and desire to take steps to love in spite of it. Your children are blessed to have a strong and brave mommy.

Please keep us posted on what you find out Tuesday. We're praying...

Bren said...

I can't believe how much I look forward to our internet exchanges and enjoy reading your blog! Thanks Vonda! I will keep you posted!

Rachel said...

I don't think it's morbid at all. Maybe you could do a yearly letter to them, and they can find them all someday when you've passed on at a very old age. They can appreciate your love for them through the years.

Have a good day "off" and I hope the party is fun (and V was right in a previous post--you always did host great parties in high school)!