Sunday, June 13, 2010

Mama Said There Be Days Like This

Raising a teenager brings back the words my mom once said' just wait until you have your own kids, you'll see' and she was right. I know that I once thought I knew more than my parents and was really reasonable and smart and in love with whoever I was dating and definitely going to marry them and always made the right choices...
I guess independence and free thinking develop before reality sets in that we need other people to help us in life and that we need to rely on who God put in our lives for guidance and wisdom. Not just them but the Holy Spirit and the Word. I know that I am not in a boat alone when I say I wish I she could know what I know but she will see reality in time. I am trying to hold my tongue and not say 'You wait' because soon enough the innocence is gone and she will see reality and the she is not the center of it all.

1 comment:

Karen Hossink said...

You are certainly not alone. I'm in that boat, too.
And I also (thought I) knew more than my parents when I was a teen. Now I just wish I'd listened and obeyed more.
God's grace was big enough to save me from the things I did as a teen. And I know it's big enough to protect my own children. Just praying they may listen better than I did, choose better than I did, and regret a lot less than I do.