Monday, October 11, 2010

Help, I need somebody!

I need advice or someone to remind me this is normal or say this too shall pass or something. I always hear that teenagers cause gray hair but I never believed it until now. I have a teenager who I love. She loves the Lord, she loves her family, she loves to do laundry (not clean her room though), all in all a great kid but she also loves to push the limits. We have to explain every option as to why we set a rule, what it really entails, what the meaning of the word after don't means. I am getting tired, old and gray doing all this so advice, words of wisdom, anything. Please help!

I do love her but want to not get after her everyday for texting in school or leaving school before it is over. These are not even my rules. I know that I could send her to the principal to deal with it but just not sure, maybe I am too picky. She has study hall last period that is why she left early one day after a make up test. She said she thought it was ok and my first thought was 'I am not sure you were thinking'.

I will wait for your comments and go get some hot tea while I wait. I am sure you all can fix this. :)

5 comments:

Carey said...

I do not have a teenager, so I have no idea really! What I try to do with my (much younger) kids is make the consequence fit crime. If she's texting in school and shouldn't be...take the phone away. This is perhaps much easier with My Little Ponies!! :) Also, with a clear expectation (one they know beforehand), I go straight to consequence...no warnings and no discussion except to explain why it's happening. But I am evidently hard on my kids!! ;) Hang in there!!

Bren said...

Carey, the only reason for the phone is for the drive and now we have established it stays in the car. Baby steps to an understanding and then things will change. She is truly awesome just sometimes frustrating, just like her mom! :)

Carey said...

I'm so glad you're doing this before me! It's good to have someone go ahead to figure it all out before I get there!!

Dana said...

Hahaha ... Sounds like rather smallish things in the "grand scheme". She loves you and wants to follow Jesus ... so the important things are going well, yes???

I hope you enjoyed your tea :) Oh ... and toddlers can cause gray hair too ... and babies ... and tweens ... and in-laws ;)

Bren said...

Love the perspective Dana. I need to remember the big things are in order even if the little picks at me. Thanks!