Sunday, January 3, 2010

Miss Independent

So I was asked to describe something about myself that was unique and I could not do it. I don't think of myself as not connected to my family or friends. I define who I am by how I love God and others, by how I live with them and who I am with them, but not by who I am alone. I honestly could not think of an attribute and asked a friend and she said, 'fun-loving and social'. I agree that I love fun and am social, but does that describe me uniquely, no. I was told many in our class are fun-loving and social which is true so I put 'a misfit'. That is how I see myself.

This brought me to a goal for 2010 - learn to love who I am and figure out what that means. I love that I am a child of God, a mom, a wife, a friend, a daughter, a sister/in-law, an employee. These are my places in the world but what makes me me.

Here is what I came up with:
  1. One who wants to love like Christ
  2. One who loves those in her life passionately and wants to be more intentional with those relationships
  3. One who listens
  4. One who cheers on those around her
  5. One who enjoys the simple life, not too complicated
  6. One who sometimes needs intervention from others to become more than I am already
  7. One who is finally happy with myself, mind, body, soul

You may disagree but it is as always a work in progress. Thanks friends for making me think about these things!

1 comment:

Chris said...

Brenda, You know that you are unique! Who else is our token every nationality sister in Christ?! Ha! We can start calling you Your Highness the Unique!
Love you! Chris