Saturday, September 3, 2011

They Will Know We are Christians by our Love

I hate generalizations. I hate when people categorize a group as all the same. I don't know anyone who is exactly like another person. Each of us thinks independently. I do like this hope for Christians that they will know us by our love.
Many people think Christians are more judgemental or rigid or even broken. They see us as those who fear to look as they fail and I am sure many Christians don't want to fail. We do. Often. It is how we deal with our mistakes that determine if we are truly loving like Christ or just going through the motions.
I am in the midst of dealing with a mistake of my own in my Christian community. I am not sure my reaction is well, but with Steve's guidance I am sure it is better than I worry it is. We are taught to love, but we don't always listen. We are taught to talk things out, be honest, be fair, but sometimes it just doesn't work out that way.
I wish "they" were all wrong when they speak in broad terms about people who love Christ. I wish I could prove them wrong more often, wrong motive I know, but we are often flawed. Sin does that sometimes.

No comments: